Thursday, September 28, 2006

Mooncake : Part 4 (Homemade DragonFruit Jelly Mooncake)



Dragon Fruit Jelly Mooncake

Oh yes, I've been hooked with Mooncakes recently and mom has been reminding me that next Friday is Mid-Autumn Festival. Well, there's a reason behind why she keeps on reminding me though and that's because she's waiting for me to make da Jelly Mooncake! ;) Last year, I did made a few batches of Jelly Mooncake for mom as gifts to our relatives and friends where I received overwhelming respond from them which encouraged me to make them once again this year. At first, I wasn't so keen to make them because my cousin sister-in-law is actually making them too to earn some extra cash for this festive season and honestly speaking, I don't feel good when mom no longer place order from her ever since I made my first Jelly Mooncake last year. Anyways, yesterday I managed to make my very first batch of Jelly Mooncake for this year festival which carried Red Dragon Fruit flavour. Lets check out da recipe...

Ingredients
For the Jelly Mooncake Filling
  • 180g Red Dragon Fruit Puree
  • 3 tsp Jelly Powder (i used Japanese Jelly Powder)
  • 60g Sugar
  • 1 tbsp Milk (i used Low-fat Milk)
  • 150ml Water
  • Tart Moulds
For the Jelly Mooncake Skin
  • 4 tbsp Jelly Powder (i used Japanese Jelly Powder)
  • 125g Sugar
  • 500ml Water
  • 5 Pandan Leaves
  • 100ml Milk (i used Low-fat Milk)
  • 1/4 tsp Colouring
  • Plastic Mooncake Moulds
Method
For the Jelly Mooncake Filling
  1. Boil da Water and add in Sugar in a Saucepan
  2. Add in Red Dragon Fruit Puree and Milk
  3. Add in Jelly Powder
  4. Stir well and remove the saucepan away from heat
  5. Pour da Filling mixture into Tart Moulds
  6. Put aside to set completely
For the Jelly Mooncake Skin
  1. Boil da Water with Pandan Leaves along
  2. Add in Sugar and Milk
  3. Add in Jelly Powder
  4. Reduce the heat and simmer for 1 minute
  5. Add in Colouring
  6. Keep stirring and continue to bring to a quick boil
  7. Turn heat off
  8. Pour da Skin mixture into a plastic Mooncake mould to a height of 3/4cm
  9. Leave until da 3/4 mixture set, drop in a filling and top with more Skin mixture
  10. Leave it aside to set completely
  11. Chill da entire plastic Mooncake mould in da refrigerator for at least 40 minutes
  12. Dislodge the Jelly Mooncake from the mould and keep chilled in da refrigerator before serving
Making Jelly Mooncake sounds easy but it's quite time consuming though, I got to run in and out from da wet kitchen to da dry kitchen and vice versa which left me feeling so exhausted right after that and straight away turned into bed. But, it really pays off when mom told me that it tasted really good :D That's da only thing I wanna hear actually :p

Mooncake: Part 1
Mooncake: Part 2
Mooncake: Part 3


9 comments:

swee said...

yum! looks good!! I miss eating Dragon fruits in m'sia..

boo_licious said...

So pretty! I tried making dragonfruit ones this year but I didn't really like the taste. Is Japanese jelly powder good? I usually use Thai agar agar powder which is nice and crunchy.

Meiyen said...

hi swee, thanks for da compliment and dropping by...i like your blog and i think you are really good in baking!

boo, thanks for da compliment.. yeah, i must admit that da dragonfruit flavour will be a little bit less tasty than other flavours...maybe because it's not a sweet fruit after all... hmmm.. i think that da japanese jelly powder is too soft and still prefers da thai agar agar powder though. as u said, it's more crunchy...

evan said...

hi meiyen, these mooncakes look really lovely :) the color is very nice!

by the way, u play piano? same here...u finished grade 8? i see that u like piano music alot. hv u heard of yiruma, andre gagnon and yuhki kuramoto? their piano pieces are really fantastic. if u watch korean dramas, maybe you'll be familiar coz alot of BGM (background music) are played by them. i think most ppl when comes to piano only heard of richard clayderman, kevin kern & jim brickman hehe. hv u heard of 'comme au premier jour' and 'les jours tranquilles'?

Meiyen said...

thanks, evan!

oh yes, i love playing piano but i have yet to complete my grade 8 exam cause i've stopped since 2 years back :( but i still continue to play it back at home... oh wow, is great to know that piano is your passion too! :D hmm... i've heard of them but hardly play their pieces cause i don't find them over here.. perhaps i should check out their pieces at kinokuniya bookshop....

LayfuN said...

wei wei.. i wan! i wan! i wan! post to me at singapore here~~ hahaha~~~

Meiyen said...

layfun, i am sure by da time it reaches singapore, it would be inedible ady... da best is, you come back asap and i shall make one juz for u...;)

LayfuN said...

haha~~ i will try my best then >.^

Meiyen said...

layfun, u better try hard! :p