Monday, November 20, 2006

Pantai Seafood Restaurant @ Kg. Sungai Kayu Ara

Recently, one of my ex-college buddy, Poh just came back from Europe tour and we had a small gathering last Friday at Pantai Seafood Restaurant, Kg. Sungai Kayu Ara. It was my first time to Pantai Seafood Restaurant and da moment I stepped in, my expression was rather O_o and O_o and O_o! Wanna know why? First, da place was so packed with cars! We didn't manage to find a car park that we got to make a few rounds and my ex-college buddies who came late got to park outside da road side of da Restaurant! Right after we found a parking, we walked in and I saw this.....

Alaska Crab!!!!!!! Boy oh boy, I was so tempted to try it out and fyi, until today I am still having a hard time forgetting this Alaska Crab! Darling had told me to stop dreaming bout it cause there's no way that both of us can finish da whole Crab and that he really wonder who would actually join me to eat this supa dupa expensive Crab :( Anyone? Please let me know..... :p

Boy oh boy, look at this Alaska Crab..... so huge!!!!!!!!! I can only dream..... Wanna know how much is this Crab? It's RM 230++ per kg!!!!!! and for this giant crab, anytime that it could reach up to 2kgs or maybe heavier than that O_o

Another type of Crabs, Snow Crab! I wanted to try this too but but but..... it's RM 183 per kg! O_o

Perhaps we could only afford to have this, Flower Crab ;)

Found something very interesting, Live Mexico Geoduck Clams!!!!!! O_o Real huge! Goodness, I really wish that I can try it one fine day! Definitely not cheap, RM 152 per kg!

Ooo lah lah, there were Lobsters as well!

Wow, wow, wow! Not bad at all, they even have Live Abalone!

I wonder what type of Fish is this. Looks like Stingray and it's supa expensive too! O_o RM 268 per kg!!!! I really wonder what they taste like.....

Found this really cute..... Japanese Snails ;)

Back to our Dinner,

We had da "Kai-Lan" fried with "Kai-Lan"! Half of it were deep-fried shredded "Kai-Lan" leaves while da rest were da "Kai-Lan" stalks which then fried together! Honestly speaking, I'd never tasted anything like that before and it was my first time. Find it pretty special, crunchy and yummy!

We also had da Pig Trotters. I was pretty amazed though cause according to one of my ex-college buddy, this's somehow a signature dish at this Restaurant. I saw many other diners at different tables ordered da same thing too and once tasted, ooooooooo not bad at all. Quite good, not much of fats and very crispy!

We also had da Baked Japanese Snails with Cheese. I found da Snails rather small and not too fresh too. Taste wise, pretty okay and cheesy.

Next, we had da 1/2 Salted Chicken. Not bad, not bad! Da Chicken meat was steamed to perfection and da gravy, not too salty! Definitely suit my taste buds ;)

As for Crabs, we ordered 2kgs of Crabs which was cooked in 2 different varities. This's 1kg of Salted Egg Crab. I would say that there's nothing much to shout over da Crabs here. Generally, da Crabs were quite small in size, not so meaty and taste wise, not too good. I could only taste da Salted Eggs outside da shell of da crabs and not from da meat itself.

Another 1kg of Claypot Butter Crab. Seriously, it didn't taste like what it's named as. Da gravy was kinda diluted and O_o it was spicy!!!!! Hmmm.... I really wonder why! Anyhow, I still think that da Crabs at La-la Chong Seafood Restaurant tastes so much better and much bigger!

Da Fried Bun was good! Dip da Bun to da Crab's gravy, yum yum!

Our meal was then ended with a bottle of Ice Wine which was brought over by Poh all da way from Vienna. Wow, this dessert wine was awesome! Sweet and thick, loved it!

General information about Ice Wine ;)

Moi ex-college buddies: Prasad, Poh, Ivy and Moi :) Poor thing, so many of them unable to turn up or else it would be one fun night for all of us!

Pretty Ivy and Moi ;)

Prasad and his beloved girlfriend, Sue :)

Moi and my other half :)


Overall, da dinner was fine. So sorry that I didn't manage to take down da price of each dishes but da above food cost us RM 200 for 6 persons. Hmmm..... I think I should bring my parents to this place one fine day and let them judge if da food over here is good cause I personally think that da seafood at La-la Chong Seafood Restaurant definitely tastes much better ;)

Other Review:

15 comments:

J said...

Foooyoorrrrr...
Some of the seafood is so expensive! - probably have to sell my liver to eat that.
O_o

Meiyen said...

j, yes, yes! i think.. da only way is to get as many people as you can and share out da bill..:p

klipin said...

Geoduck is very delicious..but Canada one tasted better than Mexico. Geoduck tasted better than abalone but tried not to eat it raw because it's fishy when raw.Missed that huge crab steamed egg :)

Meiyen said...

klipin, really? thanks for da tip! ;)

toniXe said...

omg such food, like 4 emperor one !

but I enjoy looking at da other one more lah hehehe .....

Meiyen said...

tonixe, what do you mean by enjoy looking at da other one more lah? Hmmm....

boo_licious said...

I find the crabs here are much smaller. I think pricewise it's cheaper also if I am not mistaken - RM33 per kg vs the usual RM38 per kg. The marmite one we had was nice becoz since the crab was smaller, it absorbed the sauce better.

Been eating so much crabs recently I think I can become an expert, had some last Sunday and this coming Sunday, it's my friend's birthday dinner! so more crabs as she's crazy abt them.

Meiyen said...

boo, you aren't only a food expert but now a crab expert ;) do let me know which rest serves da best crabby yeah! Oh... da normal crabs at this place, no kick! :p i still prefer those @ La-la Chong... anyways, da crabs @ La-la Chong no longer priced at RM 38 per kg.. they've just increased to RM 40 per kg... maybe we should have order da marmite one. i still hope to try da alaska or da snow crab one fine day but i know i can just continue to dream..... :( have u try that before?

Rasa Malaysia said...

MeiYen,

This is Rasa Malaysia. Tonixe asked me to check out the seafood post on your site...wow...geoduck is sooo great with soup...and the crabs...the white crystal crabs from New Zealand are great when they are steamed. Great Post.

Meiyen said...

hi rasa malaysia, thanks for visiting and nice to see u here! i've yet to have da chance to try out da crystal crabs and geoduck cause it's supa dupa expensive! :(

Anonymous said...

Go try Super Crab Aroma. It is next to Wong Poh. The last row of shoplots after Aman Suria. They have very good crab porridge. Heard of pondan crabs? Yummy roe! Their salt and pepper crabs are good too. The service is great too. Happy eating!

Meiyen said...

anonymous, i've never heard of pondan crabs.. sounds hillarious though :p anyways, thanks for da info!!! appreciate that and will try it when i have da chance..:D

Ivy said...

You should try their Spider Crab, as big as Alaskan crab...and it is so sweet and meaty!! Geoduck also my fav...have it either sashimi style (my fav) or dip into the herbal soup like steamboat style. ICHIBAN!!!

Meiyen said...

ivy, really? thanks for da tips.. but i really wonder when will be my next visit though..hopefully asap yeah.. ;)

frankybme said...

I love eating gooey ducks. My mother loves to make it with rice, tastes great! Though I do think you have to get used to the texture.

Geoducks are prized foods in food markets worldwide and are a highly valued fishery for the state (Puget Sound) , estimated at $40 million annually.

Check out geoduck for info.