Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Assorted Nyonya Kuih & Egg Tarts @ O & S Restaurant, Paramount Garden

One Saturday morning, I was somewhere around Paramount Garden and I remember that mom loves da "Nyonya Kuih" sold at one small stall which's located inside O & S Restaurant. So without thinking much, I parked my car and walked inside to pack some of da traditional homemade Nyonya Dessert home. Apparently, this stall seems to be quite famous that a friend of mine who stays far away from PJ got to know that da Nyonya Kuih from this stall are all yummy-licious. However, please be warned that they are all comes at a high price! No kidding.....

"Pandan Ang Koo" with Mung Beans filling. There are 3 pieces per parket and comes in a mini size. I must admit that I love this da most, soft and chewy!

This's definitely mom's favourite, "Kuih Onde-onde". From da picture, you can actually see that there are 6 pieces inside a packet and generous amount of grated Coconut are given! Initially, I thought that it's quite hard to make this and I thought that it must be steamed but a friend of mine told me that it's actually easy to make "Kuih Onde-onde" by just boiling da ready-made dough. Really that easy? Hmm.... maybe I should try to make it one day.... one fine day! :p

I remember that when I was still studying in primary school, mom would always pack this "Pulut Panggang" (Bbq Glutinous Rice) for me. As for now, it's da other way round! Whenever I see something that my parents used to give me or buy for me when I was a kid, I will somehow try my best to do da same now. So, it's so true that what goes around, comes around huh? I think that it's a circle, if you treat your kids good, in return, they will obey you and be good to you but if you never care for them during their growing up period, you know that when you gets old, they will treat you da same way too! Oopsss... back to da "Pulut Panggang", I would have to say that this's a freshly grilled "Pulut Panggang" I came upon. Not oily at all and da filling inside this Glutinous Rice, not too spicy and pounded with grated Coconut and dried Prawns. Yummy!

I am sure that this's definitely one of da many famous desserts for da Chinese, a Rice Pudding. To da Chinese, this dessert is called as "Wun Chai Kou" and it's best to be eaten with da given Pickles and Sauces ;)

Last but not least, my favourite Egg Tarts! I think this's so far da best Egg Tarts ever. Anyone has got a better recommendation? Please do tell me yah.....

Believe it or not, I paid up to RM 12 for da above "Kuih" and Egg Tarts. O_o expensive right? But.... seriously, they are delicious! :D

9 comments:

boo_licious said...

The Nyonya Kuehs are from Aroma Nyonya Kueh and it's found at quite a few places in town. Their factory is in OUG. This is the link to their blog:

http://aromanyonyakueh.blogspot.com/

Egg tarts at this stall used to be from Tong Kee but no longer as he didn't pay them monies for the egg tarts he was supplied. The egg tarts he gets now aren't so great. If you want Tong Kee egg tarts in PJ, they only supply to one shop in Section 17. Other outlets are in KL. We usually get ours from the Lai Foong one in Jalan Tun HS Lee.

MeiyeN said...

boo, oh wow..thanks for da info and which shop is that in sec17? i am unsure where's laifoong too....

Pamela said...

Yah... The egg tarts at Lai Foong are one of the best in KL. It's on Jalan Tun HS Lee (one road away from Central Market.

Another one is at a coffee shop in PJ State (sells economy rice). This stall is placed just outside.
don't know the road, but it's row behind Maxis/Maybank. I will get the address and let u know. This stall also sells nice kaya sponge rolls.

Precious Pea said...

Where is this O&S? Near where?

MeiyeN said...

pam, thanks for da tips!:D

preciouspea, you know paramount garden? if i am not mistaken, next to this restaurant is a petrol station.

Michael said...

The Tarts looks delicious :p

MeiyeN said...

michael, yeah....:D

fookiat said...

this is kinda far from your turf.. but hey, good food is always faraway.. you can try ipoh for egg tart.. they have been in the business for more than 20 years.. been eating them since i was small.. if ever you go to ipoh, ask me for directions ya?

MeiyeN said...

fookiat, thanks for da recommendation ... hopefully i will be able to visit ipoh soon and will definitely ask you for da directions! :D