Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Porridge & "Rojak" @ Lucky Restaurant, Sri Petaling

It was a bright and sunny Sunday, what a good day to mark da end of year 2006! Dad had been craving for porridge for da past few weeks hence on that day, I decided to bring him over to his favourite place to have Porridge. Well, his favourite place for Porridge definitely located very far away from where we stay, da Lucky Restaurant @ Sri Petaling. We reached this place at about 11am and once seated, mom walked over to da stall to order da Porridge. For your information, they do have Prawn Porridge, Crab Porridge, Fish Porridge, Frog Porridge and if you feel to have all of them at one go, you can request da seller to mix them in one whole pot. Mom returned to our table and told us that we got to wait for 25 minutes for da Porridge to be served cause they had lotsa orders in hand! Oh well, what to do? Anyhow also must wait.....

While waiting for da Porridge to be served, I stumble upon this stall that sells Indian "Rojak" by one Chinese old man and I asked dad if he wanna have it and da replied was,

"Of course, you don't remember that we always and must have this "Rojak" each time we eat here?"

and I replied,

"Errrmmm... I think I had "Rojak" at this place before but I didn't know I've to place order from this stall :p"

Obviously, that was da first time I actually walked over to da Stall and ordered da "Rojak" cause usually my mom or darling would order food for us while dad would be busy surveying da food stalls. That day, darling wasn't able to accompany me for breakfast as he had works to do while my little sista wasn't with us too as she went shopping with her friends as early as 10am! Having no choice, I got to brave myself to order da "Rojak" and upon ordering, I was asked by da "Rojak" Uncle to stay there. O_o I was thinking stay there for what? Anyways, I didn't ask him why I had to stay there while he was so busy cutting and chopping without talking to me. O_o waited less than a minute, he passed me one plate of "Rojak". Ohhhhhhhh..... I understand! He wanted me to take da "Rojak" on my own so that he can continue to prepare his unlimited plates of "Rojak" to his customers. Actually, I quite pity him cause there was no one to help him out and da business at that time was so good! Imagine that at da age of 60, he got to do everything on his own, from preparing to cleaning and serving! Salute him, he's such a healthy old man!

I know, this "Rojak" doesn't really looks appealing from here but trust me, it was really yummy! Dad said that I must ask da "Rojak" Uncle to add in "Sambal" Cuttlefish as it taste better. Oh well, dad was right! It definitely gives one extra kick to this delicious "Rojak"! I don't quite remember how much it cost but for sure it was less than RM 4! ;)

25 minutes gone and we were still waiting for our Porridge to be served! Nevermind, dad said wait awhile more and......

Da awhile more means 45 minutes gone and yet, there was no sign of da Porridge that mom ordered! Mom got impatient and walked over to da stall. When mom returned to our table, she said that da Porridge would be served real soon! So again, we waited......

Guess what? 1 hour passed and what they served was this.....

Golden Bread/Fried Bread Stick. For da Chinese, we refer to this as "Yau Char Kwai".

A minute later, a bowl of chopped Spring Onion and Parsley was given to us. Oh my god, where's da Porridge?!!!!!!! :(

After 1 hour and 15 minutes, da Porridge finally came! We had one small pot of Fish Porridge and...

One small pot of Frog Porridge. Yeaps, it's Claypot Porridge and you judge it if it's worth waiting for as long as 1 hour and 15 minutes! Well, it's not easy to find a place that serves Claypot Porridge more over with different kinds of selection. So, I personally think that it's worth da wait though cause taste wise, pretty good and not too expensive with one small pot of Porridge costs around RM 8 and with one small pot, it could feed at least 2 persons.

Pheww.... looks like it was one great brunch we had but of course da waiting part was rather suffering especially when I was in a supa dupa hungry mode! Sometimes I just don't understand..... my parents can actually be so patient to wait for this Porridge to be served. Given to me if I was with my other half only, I would had left earlier :p

Other review:

11 comments:

Daryl said...

Yes, I'm one of those that would've left eons ago if I know there'll be an hour & 15 mins wait for a pot of porridge!!

Kekeke...anyway, Happy New Year! :-) May you have a blessed and yummy year ahead. ;-)

myCoffee said...

Wow, more than an hour wait for porridge? Must be really special... Anyways, Happy New Year to you!

wmw said...

Hi there, dropping by here again after awhile...You really have many food reviews! Haven't finished reading. With all the food postings, you're so slim and nice, (different story for me, ha ha ha..)!

I don't usually go to Sri Petaling but seems that are lots of good food there. Actually, I guess there are lots of good food EVERYWHERE! Well, Happy New Year to you! Keep on blogging!

MeiyeN said...

daryl, happy new year to you! well.. youngsters are always impatient :D anyways, thanks for visiting and do come back yah! ;)

mycoffee, thanks for dropping by and happy new year to you! i think da special thing is that we hardly get to find claypot porridge around for brunch?

wmw, it's really nice to see you come back once again! happy new year to you & your family too! i hardly have meals @ sri petaling too..only once in a blue moon cause it's quite far from where i stay :D

boo_licious said...

I get lost in sri petaling! The last time I explored it was for the Middle Eastern place. There's also a claypot porridge place in PJ New Town which we go to but this one sounds super popular.

MeiyeN said...

boo, sri petaling is kinda huge area! claypot porridge @ pj new town? sounds good cause is nearer to my place!!!! mind to tell me which rest? any landmark?

boo_licious said...

got to dig through my archives. It's opposite Menara MPPJ and they sell claypot seafood porridge and etc. Will send u the link once I find it.

Wilson said...

opposite menara MBPJ? is it at the place where during night time it have duck rice?

MeiyeN said...

wilson, not too sure about that but da restaurant is near to The Store Supermarket @ sri petaling :)

whistler said...

hey, I know this place. I like the porridge too, I've no longer going to this place after I left my last job in TPM :(

MeiyeN said...

whistler, nvm...you can always come back to this place in da weekends right? but.... it's really crazy crowds during da weekends.. O_o