Friday, March 02, 2007

Chinese New Year Cookies Feast

In less than 3 days time, it marks da end of Chinese New Year and I know that I am going to miss this festival alot! Life will be back to normal pretty soon and I could sense da incoming works will drive me up to da wall! Oh well, let's not complain as I believe that it's a good sign I supposed. Lotsa work means good businesses isn't it? ;) Since Cny gonna end soon and I've never blogged about Cny Cookies, I thought it's a good idea to share some of da Cookies we had and still having throughout this festival :) For your information, this year around I didn't make any Cookies at all, not even a single one!!!!!!! I am really getting very lazy but nevermind, I still manage to have a Cookies feast despite my lazyness..... :p

Da festival started off with da Arrowroot "Nga Ku" Chips and I am pretty sure that this's definitely everyones' favourite! This year around, darling's mom fried it much earlier and a few tins were given to my family. I think I've consumed more than 2 big tins, no wonder that I've problem with my troat now! :p

These Love Letters "Kuih Kapit" has been my daily addiction that I just couldn't stop munching it! Mom specially ordered 5 tins from her friend and believe it or not, me alone finished up 3 tins out of it! Yummy.....

Surprisingly, this year around we received lotsa Pineapple Cookies from our family members and friends. After all da testing and trying, everyones agreed that da best one would be from my next door neighbour. Da Cookies, very soft texture with a generous portion of sweet and tangy Pineapple filling, absolutely yummy!

I heard that these Peanut Cookies are easy to make with only brown sugar, egg, oil, flour, vanilla, and roasted peanuts but not too sure why I am never keen to try making it though :p Well, maybe because I am not a fan of Peanuts but my other half love it alot that whenever he's at my place, his hand goes itchy and will grab few of them to fulfill his Peanut Cookies addiction.

These Butter Cookies would always be my favourite! I remember that I've been enjoying every bites of it ever since I was a kid! Every year, mom would order 10 tins from her friend and give out to my aunties and cousins as they like it very much! Best of all, they aren't too oily and having soft texture which definitely has my vote ;)

There was one morning that I followed mom to da market before Cny and found this cute little Peanut Puff "Kok Chai" around. As I said, I am a dummy when comes to Peanut but when I bought it home and had da very first bite, it tastes so good that everyone rave about da quality of this Puff!

Am not too sure what's da name of these Cookies but I named it as Little "Popiah" Prawn Crackers. Physically, it looks like a mini version of a "Popiah" with spicy Prawn filling in it. A great snack for your afternoon tea session!

I find these Coconut Cookies pretty good looking and it's actually my first time trying it. Honestly speaking, I've never tried before a Coconut Cookie but this seems to be quite okay though. Then again, none of them in my family love it as they claimed that it tasted extremely weird! Hmmm......

Next highlight would be da Rice Cereal "Chang Mai Peng" Cookies. I am not too sure how to pronounce this in Chinese but I remember my mom called it as "Mai Peng". Anyone of you know da name of this Rice Cereal Cookies please do let me know. We actually bought a few tins from one aunty carrying it around near da Malacca town and I must confess that they are really yummy! I've tried da home-made version but it just couldn't beat da one we bought it from Malacca.

Almond London Cookies, my all-time favourite! Very chocolatey and crispy inside, yummy yummy!

Actually, there were a few more types of Cookies like Cashew Nut Cookies, Cornflake Cookies, Dragon "Loong Peng" Cookies and Macadamia Cookies but they are all finished before I could snap them. Isn't it a great Cookies feast? How I wish that this festival will never end.....

13 comments:

Tummythoz said...

Oh, almost d same types v had. My fav is d peanut cookies - can finish half tin at one sitting! Hope u don't mind me saying this but I think d first few of your pix are overexposed. Or is my monitor too bright?

Baby Princess said...

I love pineapple tarts too!!

I finished one jar on my own!!

wmw said...

Cookies! One (or two or three) is never enough! Muah ha ha...

Precious Pea said...

The coconut cookies so cute! I love love letters too, but i prefers the rolled type...you know, the HK style?

KampungboyCitygal said...

these were the culprits that make me gained 2 kg! i cant stop nibbing on them while playing mahjong

MeiyeN said...

tummythoz, i think da problem is with my monitor.. not yours! over brighten da pics i supposed... thanks for telling me! :D

babyprincess, O_o whoa.... you can finish one jar at a time?!!!!

wmw, yeah...they are always very very veryyyyy addictive right... :p

preciouspea, oh yes...i think da hong kong type is called egg rolls right?

citygal, nevermind! you still look as sweet and as pretty as ever! :D

Kok said...

seriously, all those cookies make my stomach growls! Hmm! I haven't had enough before I came here. Next year, I wanna make sure I'll have enough. haha! What about cakes? Any cakes feast?

team BSG said...

haha with these kind of stuffings v hope u put on weight/looks in the right places !

Jackson said...

i love kok chai!!!

Jessie Woo said...

My all time favorites is the "Love Letter", Nga Ku, Peanut Cookies and of coz Pineapple Tarts .. and my new loves is the almond cookies .. it melts when it get in ur mouth .. just too yummy yummy

myCoffee said...

Great cookies feast! haha. I had a great cookies feast to over the CNY. For a number of days, cookies were my breakfast. My absolute addiction is the nga-ku. Once started, cannot stop...

MeiyeN said...

kok, sorry...no cakes feasT! if there's one, i think i will declare myself as a piggy now! :p

teambsg, right place? so... where's da right place? :p

jackson, yeah... puffy and nice! :D

jessie, those big piece one right? i like that too..... powdery, yummy!

mycoffee, i am still having cookies as my breaky and i am pretty much enjoying it :p

.06 said...

I just wanted to say i came across a very simplistic and beau blog :)

now i am gunna be coming here more often to check on all foods.

and chinese new year cookies, yumm.

xx m