Friday, April 13, 2007

La Manila Cafe @ Mid Valley

Three nights ago, we were at Mid Valley for da Cinema Online's Exclusive Preview Screening of "Hannibal Rising" and not really knowing what to have for dinner, darling suggested to give La Manila Cafe a try since it's located near to da Cinema.

We started off with "Otak-otak" which smelled really weird that my other half reluctant to try it out at first. However, after much persuation from me he finally had a spoonful of it and guess what? It tasted good! Then again, we found out that da texture of this Fish Cake which's priced at RM 5.50 kinda different from da one we had before at Madam's Kwans which darling kept repeating that it's more like an Egg Custard cooked in "Nyonya" style :p

For da main course, I recommend darling to have da Penang Fried Kuey Teow which I remember Babe_Kl did raved about it. Priced at RM 9.00 per plate, it came in a very generous portion O_o and I really think that big plate of Fried Kuey Teow (CKT) is meant for 2 persons rather than 1 person! No doubt, da CKT at this place is excellent and tastes da same like da good ones you'd before at hawker stalls. As I go through Babe_Kl's review, I found out that she actually paid RM 8.50 for da CKT. That means, there's a price increased 2 years later :)

I went for Tom Yam Seafood Beehoon which tasted not bad. Priced at RM 13.90, there were lotsa Prawns (big one), Squids, Fish Paste, Crabstick and etc. Spicy and sour, oooo lah lah..... yummmmmm!

Besides da good hawker food, La Manila sell really yummy Cakes, Cheesecakes and Brownies too. I bought one Hazelnut Truffle Cake during darling's dad birthday and everyone liked it so much that da whole cake gone in a blink of eye.

Other reviews:

12 comments:

anne said...

culdn't agree more that the cakes are sinfully good! i like its blueberry cheesecake best! the char kuih tiu also nice but expensive lor i think

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

I normally go for the assam laksa and curry laksa, both of which are pretty good. They taste better than Mdm Kwan's anyway. :-P

teckiee said...

Did you know La Manila uses quality ingredients for their cakes? fruit sugar, good chocolate and cheese and all. That is why I always prefer to but La Manila's cake compared to Secret recipe.

tankiasu said...

Oh this is my fav restaurant in MV. I brought my friends there so often that they banned it already now! :(

Kok said...

meiyen,
I miss the Fried Kuey Teow back in Malaysia! More taugeh pls! :P

MeiyeN said...

anne, i saw da blueberry cheesecake that night and wanted so much to order but da "popcorns" from gsc were calling me! :D

lemongrass, really? thanks for da tips...gonna order that next time! ;)

teckiee, wow....they use fruit sugar? i didn't know that and i reall wish to try all of their cakes :D

tankiasu, ouch..... bored with it already huh? nvm..... i am sure one day you guys gonna return again cause of its good food! :D

kok, :D fly back to msia asap!!!! :D

Kok said...

meiyen,
Cannot lah. Let me get a "gold toilet paper" first. haha!

Primrose said...

I heard their laksa is yummy.

MeiyeN said...

kok, what's that "gold toilet paper" O_o

Precious Pea said...

Their food is good, in fact, La Manila in MV is owned by Hubby's aunt. But we seldom go there cos Hubby said not nice when they insist our meal complimentary. So we avoid altogether.

Honey Star said...

My previous visit to La Manila was disappointing. My Tom yam wasn't so good la and the prawns very small and I was too full to eat the cakes. :(( boo hoo hoo.

MeiyeN said...

honeystar, ouch... that sounds uncool! maybe da chef was having a bad day....