Friday, June 01, 2007

Big Apple Donuts @ The Curve

Knowing that I had no heavy workload yesterday noon, I accompanied mom to Curve as she wanted to get her nails done (pedicure). You know, it's really fun to be pampered and mom is so addicted to it, worst than me lol... and being her ever loving daughter, I actually spent 1.5 hours doing nothing just to wait for her. Well, I should had get mine done too but I thought it's a waste cause I did my pedicure one week ago. Of course, I could choose to shop around but I just find it not okay to leave my mom there all alone :)

Once done, I brought mom to Big Apple Donuts. Although I am not a Doughnut fan, I'd been so desperately wanted to come here ever since Teckiee blogged about it and da moment mom and I stepped inside, we somehow felt a big disappointment. To be honest, am very disappointed with one of their staffs and you must be asking why. Okay, here goes da story... I was unsure how much da Donut costs and I asked their staff, a Malay lady, "How much is a piece of Donut?" and she didn't want to reply me :|, point her finger up to da ceiling! O_o Oh my god, I find her so rude! She didn't even greet us and da moment we arrived, she showed us a superbly sour/black face! Hello, if you don't want to work there then quit. I came by to buy your Donuts and what I get in return? Damn it... am very pissed and for god sake, who on earth wanna look that high up to check da price? Mom find it annoying too and she was rather surprised that I didn't bombard her. Well, I wanted to sound her for being so rude to me but nevermind I was somehow in a good mood so I just kept in silence and take whatever I want and went off...

We bought 1/2 dozen (RM 9.50) home and for your information, 1 Donut = RM 2 and they're having a special promotion now where if you purchase 1 dozen Donuts (RM 17), you will get 1/2 dozen Original Glaze Donuts for free...

Reached home, I asked my dad to guess how much per piece costs and he answered me, "RM2?" Whoaa..... he guessed it correctly! Anyways, I sacrificed not to have dinner and tried all (1/2 of each Donut) da flavours that I bought, first tried was da Original flavour. First bite, I thought it was quite okay...

Next, a plain Dark Chocolate topping. Not sweet, quite tasteless...

Then, da one with Green Tea topping. Well, it must because it's green in color so Green Tea flavour is created I supposed. Not really nice, think it's too sweet.....

Somehow, I didn't get to try da one with Berry filling cause my sis had it all by herself while I was showering.....

California Almond, not bad and I thought this's da best so far...

Da last piece that I sampled, Chocolate topped with chopped Walnuts and guess what? I find myself eating Buns/Breads with flavour rather than Doughnuts.. :p

Overall, I don't quite like da texture of these Donuts. Da Green Tea version too sweet for my liking, da Plain Chocolate somehow tastesless. Da more and da longer I had it, really find them nothing special, just like a plain Bun with flavouring. I think I still prefer those that my mom usually buy back from da market, cheap and yummy! ;) Oh another thing, am still very pissed with that particular staff. So rude, so unfriendly, so demoralized, bad, bad, bad, bad! Maybe her intention is to shoo-off Big Apple 's customers. Yes?

Oh before I forget, we also bought a few quarts and a few pints of Baskin Robbins Ice cream cause yesterday was 31st of May and if you are a Baskin Robbins' fan, you sure know that every 31st of da month there's a 31% discount off da normal price. So good... :D

Other reviews:-

27 comments:

Precious Pea said...

I come visit you tonite...for ice cream feast! Hahaha...i thought of Baskin Robbins yesterday but too lazy to drive out.

Coketai said...

Don;t loss faith on donuts. You don;t know donuts you have not taste the famous Krispy Creme Donuts from the US!!!! I fully agreed, we should complain the bad service of the outlet!

LY.Tai

MeiyeN said...

preciouspea, not a problem at all! :D

coketai, donuts from US? O_o sounds so sooooo far away though... :p

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

actually where did krispy kremes originate from?? always thought it was from australia.. hmm yur experience sounds pretty bad..and the rating for these doughnuts are going dwnhill..hmm should i try it now?

sc said...

luckily you have the ice cream since the doughnuts was not that great..

MeiyeN said...

joe, i've got no idea though... you can try it out..maybe you will like da texture of this donuts.. different people, different opinion! ;)

sc, yeahyeah.... :D

Xiu Long Bao said...

@_@ at the ice cream!
Thx for doing the big apple review. Gona ban it... hate bad service...hmp!

teckiee said...

aiyor....was having a conversation with wmw this early morning that i forgot to buy Baskins... *sign*

MeiyeN said...

xiulongbao, you want some? come.. i feed you now.. :D as for da donuts, naybe i was just unlucky that day... :(

teckiee, aiseh...then got to wait till july...

Tummythoz said...

1,2,3,4 .. really ice-cream feast!

Timothy said...

Wah ... Mei Yen ... if I were you, I wouldn't want to buy from there at all ... due to bad service.

But I guess you have lot's of patience. That's good ya.

Lianne's Blog said...

Hi Mei Yen, yeah yeah yeah .. this Big Apple place ah, the service very bad. I also blog about their service. They did not even know how to pack my donut properly, and worst, some senior guy came and ask the lady attending to me to do something else. And I was left there unattended :-( My donut were at the counter and I was left waiting there until I lost my patient, then someone came and attend to me. Terrible lah their service.

Obi-Kwan Kenobi said...

I got an idea for not not-doing-anything while waiting, you can play Java games on ur hp! :)
My fav is Puzzle Bobble.

That lady is mighty rude.
Have you watched the movie, Just Follow Law? The way of handling the rude person in d movie can be applied in this situation. ;)

Another idea, dip the not-so-tasty donuts in d oh-so-tasty BR ice cream. Makes my mouth water already. :p

Obi-Kwan Kenobi said...

Oh btw, me blog my homework now.
Check it out in a mo. :p

myCoffee said...

Krispy Kreme is from US as far as I know with outlets in Australia, HK among other countries, but unfortunately not in Malaysia. Maybe sometime soon in the future, if the craze for doughnuts really catches on (keeping fingers crossed).

jason said...

I bought Baskin Robbins yesterday too but it's for my boss' wife since it's my last day there... heh.

Big Boys Oven said...

I luv icecream. Should try to experiment with some icecream...hehehe have you tried creamcheese ice cream?

Sid

fookiat said...

never been a big fan of doughnuts, always have the impression that its covered with sugar.. now, i just feel like going out and grab a few to try..

Kok said...

meiyen,
I have been told by my friend that Melbourne has one shop which has the best donuts. I'll be going to Melbourne the end of this month. So, stay tuned!:)

Kev ** said...

Hihi...yeap, Krispy Kreame offers the finest doughnuts as far as i concern. The original donut with cinnammon sugar has been their main catchy product. They are originally from US, as wht 'mycoffee' said.

No worries, you still have the yummy ice cream to take care of you rest of the day~ Nice bloggie!

wmw said...

They still don't have a proper system in place...No line to queue, customers coming from all directions!

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

Why do I have the urge to eat loads of donuts with icecream?? Sigh. Ur pictures are too good la.

Jackson said...

seems like everyone tried the donuts already... i must go one day!! Aiya... u remind me of the the BR 31...

MeiyeN said...

tummythoz, :D you can have some if you want... ;)

timothy, actually i wanted to leave but da donuts were calling me :(

lianne, oooo you had bad experience there too! how pathetic... hope that they gonna do some thing bout it... should really send their staffs for training.. they just don't know how to liaise with customers!

obi-kwan, unfortunately i am not into games.. :p i rather read magazine than to play games lol... just follow law? nope, haven't watch :(

mycoffee, really? good... shall wait patiencely...

jason, none for yourself? O_o that's really nice of you! :D

bigboysoven, creamcheese = cheesecake icecream? if yes, then i'd tried before :p

fookiat, maybe you can give it a try cause they are rather different.. can choose different types of topping instead of da normal sugar topping :)

kok, good! check it out and let me know how yummy they are alright.. :D

kev, that's really bad cause we can't have it here in m'sia :( oh by da way, thanks for visiting! :D

wmw, really? that day i was there da place was rather empty though..

lemongrass, sounds like a very good combination! :D

jackson, yeah... yummy yummy ice creams :D

Obi-Kwan Kenobi said...

awww...
Haha, OK then.

Just Follow Law is a S'porean movie directed by Jack Neo, starring Gurmit Singh and Fann Wong.
Pretty good movie.

tankiasu said...

Still waiting for the Krispy Kreme to come to Malaysia. They are the best. Period.

iztoy said...

hi! oh, so, many had already encountered bad service from this shop then. As for myself, I really don't like the staff's attitude, they don't know how to speak in English, let alone Bahasa Melayu. There was one time it took about 5 (or was it 10??) minutes just for the staff to understand that I want 3 pieces of the donuts. It was like a conversation between a duck and a chicken. *sigh* Wondering how the Midvalley's will fare when they open soon. And yeah,just like everbody else, I really want Krispy Kreme here...