Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Late Lunch @ TK Chong Restaurant, Damansara Perdana

As much as I wanted to try da Ipoh Hor Fun at TK Chong Restaurant, Damansara Perdana since 3 months ago, in which we had a teribble moment looking for seats during that time and we ended up having our lunch at Face To Face, if you still remember :) we finally had da chance to drop by few days ago. That afternoon, we were with mom and once seated, mom complaint that she dislike da atmosphere of this place cause it was freaking noisy and I felt da same too. It was so noisy that I had problem talking to my fiance sitting right beside me, not to mention my mom sitting right opposite both of us, I got to scream to communicate with them! Thanks to someone who talked loudly without knowing that it was really annoying to da rest. I saw some aunties giving him one sarcastic look, you know, like a warning, asking him to lower down his voice but too bad, he wasn't aware of it, sigh!

Mom and darling had da Soup version. Priced at RM 4.00, da "Hor Fun" (Flat Rice Noodles) is served with shredded Chicken meat, Prawn, Spring Onion and Shallots. According to mom, da broth is sweet and flavourful while darling didn't comment much though :)

I had Dry version with same topping and same price. I find their dry "Hor Fun" pretty different from others, not a good one though as I suspect they used Oyster sauce. By da time I mixed da sauce and da noodles together, da whole thing went sticky and gluey. Ewwww.....

Besides da Noodles, we also ordered a plate of Poached Chickens. RM 11 for 3 persons and when mom asked them what type of Chickens they are selling, we were told that da Chickens were from "Tai San Kiok". We were quite disappointed with da Chickens as da meat was dry and tasted really "fake". For sure, Soo Kee's Chickens definitely taste much better and I realised one thing, they used exactly da same sauce for my dry noodles! :|

Nothing much to shout over da Prawns Dumpling (RM 0.50 per pc)...

Noodles with Bean Sprouts (RM 3.00), good combination but too bad that these sprouts were rather dry and not juicy at all :(

I think I had put too high expectation towards da food here and when I finally managed to sample it, I got to come out disappointedly. I also found out from other food bloggers' reviews that they've just increased their price from RM 3.50 to RM 4.00 for a bowl of "Hor Fun". I mean, for that big portion, it's worthy but just too bad..... they weren't that delicious :)

Other reviews:-

13 comments:

boo_licious said...

The soup is sweet because of the MSG they add. Didn't like the chicken texture either as it's not firm but soft as it's full of antibiotics.

Cutie said...

Hmm, sounds like not a good place to try. I think Ipoh still serves the best hor fun. hehe.. Oooh, I miss it so much.

Kok said...

meiyen,
RM0.50 per piece of prawn dumpling, nothing to shout about for that one? But the soup seems like very normal soup.:P

Cat Cat said...

The pictures looks good though.

Being away from Malaysia, give me Hor Fun and Ngar Choi at any time, I have no complaint at all.

wmw said...

I have boycotted this place....I ask for them to give me gau choy instead of choy sam in my dry noodles...They charge me 50 sen for that! The noodles are okay only lah...

MeiyeN said...

boo, O_o antibiotics? omg... that's horrible! :|

cutie, oh that's for sure.. those in kl are just wannabe :) then again, soo kee's chickens really not bad.. just that they are quite pricey i think...

kok, yeah.. actually normal for everything ;)

catcat, i truly understand for being away from msia! no worries, food in msia would always be there to wait for you.... you just need to fly home! :D

wmw, got "choy sam"? mine.. nothing ! except for da spring onions :|

ipohwav3 said...

Eee... how come they use such sauce for the dry hor fun? It looks like heh koh.

Jackson said...

seems like they use a lot of oyster sauce in their cooking..

Kev ** said...

Harlo, I'm back here to visit ur page...!! All those dishes looked so yummy!! Craving for that...

By the way, I'm Kev, please feel free to drop by my page at http://kevinkks.blogspot.com if possible...hope to get some comment on blogging from ya~ Take care, keep up the good works...!! ;-)

KampungboyCitygal said...

ntg beats the original iph hor fun flat..haha..

team bsg said...

writer had da same bad experience , that the hor fun soup is rather sweety/salty and yes , most probably did have plenty to do with the suspected msg, but how did it become so famous anyway ?

~Christine~Leng said...

I've not had prawns since my allergy started!! argh! so can't get to taste prawn dumplings now! *sad* every pic u take is so "detailed". can ask for advise? how come the pictures you uploaded is so large? Boo's blog too! Very nice pictures! U guys altered it using some kind of software??

MeiyeN said...

ipohwav3, yeah.. so disappointed with da sauce :(

jackson, and with lotsa tapioca flour too i suspect :|

kev, welcome back! :D

citygal, true enough.. ;)

teambsg, i am still wondering too.. and mom said most probably because that's da only rest selling stuff like that around that area ;)

christine, what kind of allergy? are you on medication? get well soon yah... errmmm... da pics, i upload to photobucket and link from there... no special software though ;)