Wednesday, August 08, 2007

When Mom Isn't Free To Cook...

There are times when mom isn't free to cook and we are too lazy to go out for dinner, I would be da one playing and having cooking fun in da kitchen :D Inspired by da TVB Variety Show: Beautiful Cooking, I decided to post a few dishes that I managed to cook properly, as according to my other half and my family lol...

Don't blink your eyes.... let's savour my home-cooked dishes!! ;)

Stir-fried Bean Sprouts with Salted Fish

This dish sounds familiar to you? I believe that if you are brought up in a typical Chinese family, you sure love this dish. Mom used to tell me that Bean Sprouts and Salted Fish were rather cheap during their kiddos days and that this dish was usually eaten by da not-so-wealthy community. It's so different now, Salted Fish is so expensive compared to previous years and I assume that it's not easy to get a good Salted Fish. As far as I concern, da best is still available in Kuantan. Yes? Anyways, it's rather easy to prepare and cook this scrumptious dish. All you need is da main character, da Bean Sprouts, followed by Salted Fish, Spring Onions, Garlic, Sea Salt to taste and Olive Oil. Heat da wok with drops of Olive Oil, add in some chopped Garlic and saute it till fragrant. Next, add in da Salted Fish till they become aromatic and you can then add in da Bean Sprouts with Spring Onions. Simply add in a bit of Salt, stir and fried it for a while, not too long or else it will be over-cooked and it's ready to be served! :D


Braised Bean Curd with Mushrooms

This is one of my all-time favourite dish. I am truly a big fan of Mushrooms and trust me, I won't go wrong with this dish cause I've been cooking this dish every 1st day of CNY for my family and relatives which they absolutely heart it and I usually it with tons of Golden Mushrooms but unfortunately, I couldn't find any in my fridge that day hence I got to replace it with Button Mushrooms which turned out to be delicious too! What you need? Obviously, you need Dried Bean Curd, Shiitake Mushrooms, Button Mushrooms, Garlic, Olive Oil, Water and Veg. Oyster Sauce. First, heat da wok and add in drops of Olive Oil. Pour in some chopped Garlic (vegetarians got to omit this) and saute till fragrant. Next, stir-fried da Bean Curd till they are soft, add in da Mushrooms and drops of Water. Sprinkle some Salt and add in Oyster Sauce to taste, braised for like few minutes and it's all done. Easy peasy right? :D


Long Beans Omelette

Long Beans Omelette, my comfort food! I never knew how to cook this till recently when mom dropped me some tips and I decided to give it a try. Oh well, I think it looked a bit messy as da Omelette didn't paired up with da chopped Long Beans. Still, it was my first time and I know I can do better da next time. It turned out to be quite dry, mom said, "lack of oil" and I will take note of that. Tastes wise, pretty good and crunchy, loved by my family and fiance though ;) Da Ingredients to cook this dish; Eggs (beat them up!), chopped Long Beans, Sea Salt and Oil. What I did was to pour da beaten Eggs to da heated wok and wait till it's half-cooked. Add in da chopped Long Beans, some Salt, turn it up side down and cut da Omelette to pieces. I think I over do that, so it really looked messy! Flip it till brown and serve ;)

P/s: Please not that we don't use Sugar and Soy Sauce to cook for health reasons. If you love your dishes to be sweeter and tastes better, do not hesitate to do so yah! :)

I know that I am not a good cook, but I am willing to learn and my next attempt is to cook meat. Wish me luck! ;)


22 comments:

myCoffee said...

I love watching Beautiful Cooking too. Wah, you must be a good cook! :)

Precious Pea said...

Clap clap clap! More than qualified to be a good wife oledi. Even such a simple dish of taugeh with salted fish also looks so good. Good job! I will stay tuned to your next post on 'meat'!

Big Boys Oven said...

Wah, looks like a pro!

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

it does looks like egg coated long beans..but if u ask me to cook up so many dishes..i think i can serve it for supper!

MeiyeN said...

mycoffee, seriously... am not good in cooking, only know how to prepare few dishes and they are all veges :)

preciouspea, *blush* long way to learn... must get more tips from you! :D

bigboysoven, thanks but am not one, too bad :(

joe, haha... better than nothing.. supper also can what.. :D

Obi-Kwan Kenobi said...

Looks not bad.
So how many points did ur fam give for each dish? :p
Saw 1 ep of Beautiful Cooking where they had to cook crab and 1 of d cooks did it so badly that ppl was looking for the bin d moment they tried it and gave either max 1 point, no points or negative points! *Wow that's bad. 0_0*

ipohwav3 said...

Cooking is fun especially if those who savour your cooking, loves them :)

~Christine~Leng said...

beautiful cooking.. it's funny. Trust me. U're way way better than those celebs! haha :) Envy la.. can cook so well! Ur darling must be amazed and felt lucky for him! good job girl!

Xiu Long Bao said...

oh, good job mei yen! Very healthy dishes wiv loads of vege :)

Kok said...

meiyen,
You can cook!!! Can I invite you to my Wok With Kok next time? hahaha!

By the way, I love all the dishes you cook. ;)

KampungboyCitygal said...

bravo! looks like you are all ready to be housewife..cant wait for ur meat post

Cat Cat said...

Plenty of bean sprouts in USA but hard to get good salted fish. Your bean sprouts with salted fish looks good! Yum!

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

wow, you're such an accomplished chef!!

ling239 said...

all the best ya...
and the meat dish pls ~ ^_^

Big Boys Oven said...

ipohwav3:
We will definitely like you cooking. Hehehehe All of us are waiting to be invited.

Jackson said...

never know that u can cook? So when u wil invite us for yr home cooked food?? The pyramid beansprout looks good ler.

Rasa Malaysia said...

OMG, you can cook so well, you should cook more and we can share recipes...I love that bean curd and mushrooms dish...so jilatable...I will have to try making it, for me, I probably will add some shrimp or dried oysters inside. Yum yum. :)

MeiyeN said...

obi-kwan, no points given though... and i tell you, it's darn funny to see how those judges reacted towards da dishes they tried lol...

ipohwav3, yeah... and especially when they give thumbs up for all my hard-cook! :p

christine, well.. i don't think he will be amazed cause honestly speaking, he could cook better than me, really well! :)

xiulongbao, haha.. thanks! :D

kok, thank you! don't think i can really cook.. particularly only a few dishes with lotsa trial :p

citygal, you can count me out to be a good housewife :p

catcat, oh really? even it's hard to get da good ones over here in kl... :(

lemongrass, still in da learning process... :)

ling239, thanks! :D

jackson, now you know! :p seriously, i can only cook for like 3-4 persons.. more than that, i don't think am able to handle..

rasamalaysia, thank you! :) i hardly have da time to cook and only cook once in a blue moon though... will try my best!

babe_kl said...

waw those beansprouts looked so good. tell you the truth i never fry them before hehehe

teckiee said...

Yeah I agree with babe! I really dont like beansprouts dishes by itself but your makes me want to hog the whole plate for myself!

teckiee said...

...so hard to get comments posted.. arghghg i really hate my connection. I'm not a beansprouts person..but yours really looks yumyum

Jackson said...

ok, i attend alone...kekekeke