Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Moi Lunar Birthday Dinner @ De Foodland, Bandar Sri Menjalara

It was my lunar birthday weeks ago and since my dad said it's all up to me to decide where I wanna have dinner, I suggested parents to have Seafood at Defoodland. I have heard so much about Defoodland since many years ago and many of my friends just couldn't stop to rave over their Crabs. I remember few of my good friends telling me how delicious their Crabs were and kept bugging me to try them but how unfortunately that I never had a chance to join them as I was too busy. Nevermind though as I finally managed to sample their food for da very first time on my lunar birthday ;)

We started our dinner with a bowl of "Siong Tong" Spinach. We all love Spinach and having done so, in Superior Soup, it's served with Wolfberry ("Kei Chi"), sliced Century Eggs and fried small Anchovies which has our vote. I find da Soup not too flavourful but very clear, very healthy way of starting our dinner, yummy!

Next up, we had Golden "Kam Heong" Clams. We were all quite disappointed with this dish. Look at "Lala", they were so tiny... so small that we hardly get to chew them and they seemed to be not really fresh, very oily too! Thumbs down....

Thank god that da 3rd dish came to rescue, Braised Beancurd with 3 types of Mushrooms. Deliciously done, da "Tau Foo" were of a home-made kind, very soft and silken. It went really well with da not so rich in flavour Oyster sauce. I mean, it suits our taste buds cause we don't fancy Oyster sauce that much so having a clearer gravy means good stuff to us! ;)

Here comes da long awaited Crabs. We had it done in Sweet & Sour style, no doubt, da Crab meat were fantastically fresh and we get to da taste da juicyness of da meat. However, da gravy wasn't too good though. I don't know why but we find it not sweet and not even sour, more like a Satay gravy, quite irritating and worst of all, they were oily. I think we ordered wrongly, should have had order their famous Marmite Crabs :(

We had Steamed Buns as well, for da sake of dipping them into da Sweet & Sour sauce but how pathetic that da Buns turned out to be as hard and dry as rock, you know, like they frozen them and then steamed it, really bad!

However bad da Crabs, thankfully... it saved by da Prawns. Mom wanted da Prawns to be steamed with Egg White, it was all good. Da Prawns were very fresh and steamed to perfection so... no complaints for this final dish of da night.

Years has passed and we finally did it, to try Defoodland. I know they were doing really well back then and I know that my friends love dining here but why oh why that we don't think that this place is that fantastic? Furthermore, I personally think that their Crabs are really over-rated and over-priced too. Da bill came to a total of RM 170++ and bear in mind, that excludes Rice and da what amused me was that, da staffs were actually busy hunting down da Flies all over da place throughout da time we were there. Is that mean that their business no longer that good and their food no longer that delicious anymore?

Other reviews:-

19 comments:

Precious Pea said...

I find apart from the numerous cooking style, I find the food so-so only. The last time i went, the lala was also as tiny as yours. And i do find their dishes very oily too.

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

What a coincidence. De Foodland was my first restaurant review, and today's my blog's first birthday. Should buy number, hor. LOL.

Jason said...

I thought they'll provide the crispy mantou to dip the sauce.
And I like homemade beancurd!

MeiyeN said...

preciouspea, yeah... towards 30+ ways of cooking crabs :p and seems like they are over-rated.. maybe they were really good but not now..

lemongrass, yeah yeah... strike, win it and treat me a meal! :D

jason, nope... we were served with steamed buns. anyways, my parents don't really fancy having fried buns..

team bsg said...

beautiful dinner , classy and looks like got many tastes !

KampungboyCitygal said...

yeah their crabs are way too expensive at rm 40 per kg but the butter variation is quite good wo :D

Christy said...

Awww...that mustn't have been such a great dinner after all...
Hope it didn't dampen your birthday excitement and I must say the bill's pretty expensive too!

Nic (KHKL) said...

happy belated lunar bday! I went to de foodland way before it became famous and it was quite good. especially the butter crabs and fried beehoon. din go after it became popular...amazing "car parking", right? haha...

Big Boys Oven said...

hehehehe mei yen, should try chef steven cheng's cooking!

Baby Princess said...

hello hello..

i've been there once, i think it was 2 years ago!!! we din order crab because we were too lazy to eat that day.

the normal dish was OKAY. not super duper good or else i'll remember them very well.

my cousins used to go there often. they said the place used to be very good but not now anymore.

i think the Tak Fook in Aman Puri is cheaper and nicer... special too. You gotta try that one though they don't have very nice seating. You may need to sit outside the restaurant if the restaurant is full. But again.... be mindful that the attitude of the people around lah.

ling239 said...

the prawns steamed with egg white !! my fav too... ^_^

ai wei said...

high-5, ling239, that's my fave too. ^^

Jun said...

yeah defoodland used to be whr my fam and i will go but somehow, each time we went the food quality varies. i think there are nicer (and cheaper) places for crabs tho...

Imbi & Itchy said...

i find the prawn cooked in egg white rather special. not sure if i will make it to this place to sample them but shall experiment at home hehehe .. another yummy entry

MeiyeN said...

teambsg, haha..... actually, not that classy after all ;)

citygal, yes... and that it's usually more than 1kg they serve.. ended up paying more than rm 40!! :(

christy, it didn't.. just that find da dishes here not that good after all :)

nic, that prove why my friends used to rave about this place years ago....

bigboysoven, steven cheng's? where? tell me please...

babyprincess, will try that place soon.. thanks! :D

ling239, same here, i love them!!! a must order item in chinese restaurants ;) yummy yummy..

aiwei, ^5 too... :D

jun, so many different opinions.. looks like there are times da dishes are good and some other time, no!..

imbi&itchy, you can try to order this dish in chinese restaurant... really yummy! :D

teckiee said...

Actually buns hor.. when they freeze it... you got to eat it warm if not it's hard.. hard as rock. Esp when you resteam then become cold.. teruk.

~Christine~Leng said...

too bad the crabs weren't up to your expectations and the hard buns! I love having them very much... such great combination and yet they just have to 'not make it right'... sigh.

wmw said...

Mmmm....happy belated lunar birthday! Food not so good nevermind, as long as you have good company lo.

wiesly said...

I seem to be quite late, but who cares =P

Actually, the food there is nice, maybe its the selection of dishes... lets see... they're famous for creamy butter crab, salted egg yolk crab, steamed crab with chinese wine and err..royal stout crab(if I've not mistaken the name)

My favourite is salted egg yolk crab!! ^^

And I prefer the fried bun(they would recommend it too), its waaaay nice and crunchy even without the sauce!

I'd say you'd give them another chance, try it again.. believe me.. I'm a frequent customer~ =D