Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Nasi Lemak Cikgu @ Kelana Jaya

What do you know about Nasi Lemak? I am very sure every Malaysian definitely know what is Nasi Lemak and to those of you who are still unsure, especially foreigners, let me briefly explain this dish that's commonly sold over here in Malaysia. Nasi means Rice and Lemak means Fat but don't freak out, when Nasi and Lemak combines together, it becomes a name, a famous one in Malaysia. Traditionally, Nasi Lemak is categorized under Malay cuisine and surprisingly it's savoured by everyone in Malaysia, be it Chinese, Indians, Malays... everyone just love Nasi Lemak. A very common Nasi Lemak would have Rice steamed in Coconut Milk and usually served with Sambal, Peanuts, Boiled Eggs, Cucumbers and fried Anchovies.

Talk about Nasi Lemak, seriously, I don't even remember when was da last time I actually had one, not to mention a good one cause I hardly ate rice for many years. However, there's a turning point recently where I begin to love Rice. I thought since I am back to Rice diet, da first thing that came into my mind was Nasi Lemak and so, I asked darling if he knows any places that serve scrumptious Nasi Lemak and all he did was smile to me and from his smiling face, he seemed to have an answer. Da very next day after I asked that question..

Darling said, "Let's eat Nasi Lemak for brunch!"

Oh, that's very cool and I asked, "Where to?"

He answered me, "Kelana Jaya, my friend brought me here once."

About 20 minutes drive to Kelana Jaya, da place that darling suggested was actually Nasi Lemak Cikgu Restaurant. Once reached, my memory suddenly flashed back, da name of this Restaurant sounds so familiar! Only then I remember that some bloggers did review this place and not only that, I remember I saw their article once somewhere in da newspaper too! Oh, I was joyful!


Over here at Nasi Lemak Cikgu, a very plain Nasi Lemak is priced at RM 2, so it's really affordable but we didn't go for that. We wanted something special hence darling ordered one plate of Nasi Lemak with Ayam Goreng for himself which is priced at RM 6 per plate and one plate of Nasi Lemak with Sotong (RM 4) for me. Ooopppsss, not too cheap I thought especially da one with Ayam Goreng but, yes, there's a but! After savoring few spoonful of da Coconut Milk Rice plainly (yeaps without da sambal), my mind went blank. Da tastes oh so good, so aromatic! Can you imagine that da Rice itself is already so tasteful what about having it with Sambal and other condiments? Boy oh boy, it was delicious! Da Sambal wasn't too sweet, wasn't too spicy, just at da right level for me and I love da fact that they actually cooked da Sambal with lotsa big Onions. Tasted da Sambal with Rice, I moved on to taste da Squid. Wow, very springy and fresh... I loved it! Darling's Ayam Goreng was good too as I believe that it was just fried not long ago since it was still hot when we had it and surprisingly da meat was not oily at all, very tender meat too!

I would say that our brunch didn't cost us much, about RM 13 with 2 glasses of Iced Lemon Tea. I also find out that they do serve Roti Bakar too, RM 1.20 per set. Overall, I am satisfied with da Nasi Lemak here and if you have better recommendations, please do not hesitate to leave comments for me as I am currently just so into Nasi Lemak, such an addiction! Lol...

Restoran Nasi Lemak Cikgu
No. 14, Jalan SS5B/2
Kelana Jaya
47301
Petaling Jaya
Selangor Darul Ehsan


Other reviews:-

32 comments:

Big Boys Oven said...

Wah so cheap, a lunch for only RM13 is a real bargain, I am sure within my budget of RM50 a day for 5 meals! lol! great information, if not we will never know!

Bernsy said...

oh gosh , did they move out from the original stall opposite of Kelana Office Blocks (TMoffice )...

Must agree with you, they serve some really nice and delicious Nasi Lemak at very reasonable prices.

ayam goreng fresh.. sambal also fresh and tasty.

Bernsy said...

The last time I went there, they were in some food court stall opposite of Kelana Business Center or something like dat (opposite of McDs).

Must go and find their restaurant..

haven't had Nasi Lemak Cikgu for many years already...do you think they are open at night ?

Precious Pea said...

Heard so much of this place but didn't know how to get there. Thanks to your post..i think i will find my way there soon. Hmm..nasi lemak biasa costs RM2 and with the fried chicken RM6....a piece of chicken for RM4 is very expensive. But will still try..hehe.

MeiyeN said...

bigboysoven, yeah... and hope that you gonna love da nasi lemak here! :)

bernsy, i think so! heard they used to operate somewhere near da field? so now you know where to have it yah but am not too sure if they are opens at night.. try to go during breakfast or lunch first and ask them, also remember to let me know their nasi lemak is available at night ;)

preciouspea, oh it's easy to find this place... after giant (outer lane from ldp), turn left, go straight till you meet a traffic light and go straight again. you will see shop lots on your right.. and there's where you turn in.. da restaurant is located on your left hand side :) that's what fiance said too, da ayam goreng a bit pricey but still worthy since they are so yummy! :p

wenching & esiong said...

Wow, from the way you described the nasi, it really sounds as though you can eat it on its own. In Kelana Jaya? Gonna check it out! :)

Jason said...

You passed the nasi virus to me! Now where should I go to have my nasi lemak antidote...?

Kenny Mah said...

Sounds good... have you been to Village Park in Damansara Uptown, how does this compare to theirs, if I may ask? (Only cos I'm a regular there, and while the food's good, the service is abysmal.)

Thanks! :)

ekeng said...

Mmmm...nasi lemak is my fav food..the sambal look spicy *sweating*

ling239 said...

i remember this name.. but they have been shifting and shifting until i lost track of them... tks for sharing ~ ^_^

sc said...

thanks meiyen for the directions! i love nasi lemak and will try this soon :)

ai wei said...

i would like to have the one with sotong. the sambals with lots onion looks good! hope to have some right now, just can't resist spicy food...

Kok said...

meiyen,
About Nasi Lemak, Sasha from Sashablablabla blogged about a stall before. But I wonder if it's the same stall both of you were mentioning about. Take a look.

http://sashablablabla.blogspot.com/2007/11/nasi-lemak.html

If it's not the same, another stall for you to try. :D

Obi-Kwan Kenobi said...

WHY!!!
Damn those striking writers.
I want more Heroes!!!

Obi-Kwan Kenobi said...

Btw, i tried Nasi Lemak Cikgu before.
It was yummy.

But now, any kinda nasi lemak will do for me over here.

Nic (KHKL) said...

love the redness of the sambal...very appetising! not too expensive too! nice.

MeiyeN said...

wenching&esiong, most probably because too long never ate nasi lemak.. :p

jason, haha it's a good virus! do try them out yah.... ;)

kennymah, never been to village park though.. heard their nasi lemak is very good too! okay, i shall make my way there soon... thanks for reminding me hehe..

ekeng, looks spicy but not too spicy so it's all good! :D

ling239, oh really? i just know that they used to operate somewhere near da field.. didn't know they have been shifting! then again, i believe that they won't be going anywhere else for da time being since they are operating in a restaurant now :)

sc, you are most welcome! :)

kok, is been so long since you last dropped by!! how are you doing? i think that's not da same nasi lemak i had.. da plate is red in color while plates served in nasi lemak cikgu seems to be blue and white.. da one you showed me seems to be located @ pj old town and da one i tried is in kelana jaya so definitely not da same! :)

obi-kwan, huh? want more HEROES? i am clueless... oh you tried before huh? uncle bob told me it was michael that brought him here!

MeiyeN said...

aiwei, it's really good... do you have any other places to recommend me? hehehe.. am in love with nasi lemak now :p

MeiyeN said...

nic, i find da sambal very appetizing too!!!!!! :D

cookies_cream said...

Wah! Mei Yen jie..you're making me salivating non stop!!! It's been a long long long time since I last touched on any nasi lemak~! :'(

yammylicious said...

sambal sotong!! cikgu's jus same roll with 7-11 rite? =) last time they just having a small stall and now they owing a shop d ^^

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

a great place for my late saturday breakfast. hehe. thanks, Meiyen!

~Christine~Leng said...

looks delicious!! will definitely give this place a try... since I'm very into nasi lemak ;)

MamaBoK said...

Aiyoh..!! to die for lor..! down here .. pay USD also cannot get such good food.. :(

♥ ♡ Alvin ♡ ♥ said...

reasonable price!

~ will take note for it hehe...

wmw said...

Haven't been there for a long time...since I started going to the one in SS2. Should go to Kelana again one of these days!

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

i think my breakfast will be more then RM6 bcoz i would also want some of that scrumptious sotong!

Rasa Malaysia said...

I love sambal sotong....so good, especially with nasi lemak.

MeiyeN said...

cookies_cream, so you got to move fast... try it asap yah! sure you gonna love it.. ;)

yammylicious, am not too sure about that didn't see any 7-11 there though but da restaurant is located right infront of a field if am not mistaken :)

lemongrass, no problem.. you are most welcome!

christine, hope you gonna have a good experience here yah! :)

mamabok, true enough.. unless you make them yourself ;)

alvin, tell me if you love da nasi lemak here kay.. ;)

wmw, heard they have been operating for many years and i only found this famous nasi lemak 1 week ago :|

joe, if ayam goreng + sotong, da price would be RM 7 ;)

rasamalaysia, yes! so yum yum...

sbd18 said...

nasi lemak kukus FAM at jamal restaurant, kelana jaya is much better than nasi lemak cikgu's...its located in front of the FAM building which is just off LDP and Western Digital...

i also feel 6to10's nasi lemak is nicer...didn't think much of nasi lemak cikgu's...rather dissappointed...:(

MeiyeN said...

sbd18, really? i would try that soon... thanks for da info.. appreciate it much! :)

Suhana said...

hi meiyen,

i'm Sue from Nasi Lemak Cikgu. TQ for a good review u gave us. We renovated (a bit) our restaurant, improved the ventilation, improved the set up (but of course the same good food). So I would like to invite u to come to our restaurant and it'll be an honor if u do. Regards -Sue-